Term: Permanent, full-time
Posted: September 2, 2021
Closing: September 17, 2021 or until suitable candidate found
Ideon Technologies is transforming subsurface discovery. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km beneath the Earth’s surface. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining.
We are seeking an entrepreneurially minded Controller to manage and evolve the accounting and financial planning and analysis functions at our fast-moving tech start-up. As Controller, you will be accountable for the accounting operations of the company, including the production of daily, weekly, and monthly financial reports; maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records; and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or international financial reporting standards.
Specifically, your accountabilities will fall into the following categories of work:
Accounting & Administration
- Establish and manage standard daily functions including maintaining the general ledger, financial records, accounts payable, receivables, and cash management. This includes overseeing the processing of invoices from receiving to payment, credit, and collections.
- Lead general accounting functions, including following GAAP, monthly reconciliation of all balance sheets, month-end accounting cycle, and preparation of financial statements with review of budget to actual figures.
- Manage payroll and deductions, timesheet and absence balances, and expense payments relative to company employees.
- Preparing claims for reimbursement from various funding agencies.
- Serve as primary contact and coordinator for external auditors.
- Prepare tax returns including GST and PST returns.
- Develop and maintain workflow and work procedures.
- Provide financial assistance and guidance within the organization.
Financial Planning and Analysis
- Prepare periodic financial reports including monthly financial metrics.
- Lead the development of the annual budget as well as the quarterly financial forecasts.
- Prepare variance analysis reports comparing actuals to budgeted amounts.
- Work with others on internal reporting and assisting with financial goal-setting and related analysis.
- Safeguard the company’s assets, including financial risk analysis and recommendations for the development and implementation of mitigating control procedures.
- Together with the CFO and CEO, manage the cash-flow position of the company.
- Establish and/or maintain credit, collections, and purchasing processes and policies, etc.
- Develop appropriate strategies and practices to manage foreign exchange exposure.
Your credentials, attributes, and qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or similar field.
- At least five years’ experience as a financial administrator or similar in the technology sector.
- Advanced competency in financial management and accounting software, as well as the Microsoft Office suite.
- In-depth knowledge of accounting standards and industry regulations.
- Proven experience in corporate finances, auditing, and business performance management.
- Strong analytical, communication, and presentation skills.
- Strong organizational and time management abilities.
- Evidence of solid collaboration skills.
- A willingness to be hands-on in helping to build the business, doing what it takes to move the company ahead.
The position is based in Richmond, BC (Greater Vancouver). Applicants will be subject to a background check.
What We Offer
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) on its journey to commercialization. You will be working together with the leadership team and technical experts to advance a ground-breaking solution that will generate significant economic and environmental benefit. Our team is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are also committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, however they happen to be packaged.
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human.
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world
Please send your résumé and cover letter via email to Kim Lawrence, including the job title ‘Controller’ in the subject line.