People & Office Coordinator
Term: Permanent, full-time
Posted: September 2, 2021
Closing: September 17, 2021 or until suitable candidate found
Ideon Technologies is transforming subsurface discovery. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km beneath the Earth’s surface. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining.
We are seeking a curious, enthusiastic, multi-talented People & Office Coordinator to join our growing team and help take us to the next level. If you’re someone who seeks variety in their day, immersion in an environment of cutting-edge technological innovation, challenging project work, and the opportunity to introduce smart new ways of doing things, this opportunity could be ideal. You’ll meet and interact with many kinds of people – from scientists and technical experts to customers, vendors, staff, and career applicants – and contribute directly to nurturing the culture of the company.
You won’t be going it alone in this role and there will be plenty of opportunity to stretch yourself and learn from others who have been around the block a few times. This role reports to the VP Talent & Customer Experience and will consist of, but not be limited to, the following:
- Support the recruitment process, helping craft role descriptions, rolling out promotions plans, working with consultants in some cases, reviewing and vetting candidates, arranging meeting logistics, administering skills assessments; and providing thoughtful and respectful engagements with all those who express interest in Ideon.
- Coordinate the onboarding process for new hires, ensuring that the experience of joining Ideon is well orchestrated and reflects the distinct needs of each new employee. This involves helping with employment contract details; supporting relocation needs; ensuring timely network and system access; procuring equipment and peripherals; allocating space, keys and passes; photos; facilitating payroll and benefits enrollment and administration; helping with announcements and introductions; answering questions; and supporting the training process.
- Coordinate review processes across the organization, including probation periods, performance reviews, and goal-setting, working with people leaders to ensure they are prepared and properly equipped.
- Become a super-user and help others to use any software systems or tools implemented to support employees (e.g. time management, vacation and absence-reporting, expense reporting etc.)
- Help to develop, maintain, and improve key documents, records, processes, and policies, ensuring accuracy, relevance, and protection of privacy.
- Assist colleagues with administrative support, such as periodic travel and accommodation bookings, as necessary.
- Welcome visitors and provide a great first impression.
- Refer inquiries to the appropriate colleagues.
- Play a key role in facility relocations as we grow (first move expected in the next 5-6 months).
- Manage all office service-related vendor relationships (e.g. landlord, janitorial services, couriers, maintenance).
- Oversee the day-to-day functioning of the office and ensure the smooth running of all facilities and services. Ensure all common areas, kitchens, boardrooms, and conference rooms are organized, presentable, and stocked. Care for plants throughout the office areas.
- Facilitate meeting room set-up and take-down as required, ensuring space is presentable and key equipment is functional. Schedule meetings and book rooms as required.
- Manage office supplies, including monitoring inventory and preparing orders.
- Troubleshoot and maintain office equipment, including placing service requests with the IT department or outside vendors.
- Manage kitchen maintenance, including supplies and equipment. Rest assured: anyone who uses the kitchen is expected to clean up after themselves.
- Retrieve and sort incoming mail; prepare outgoing mail; and schedule, log and monitor couriers.
- Assist with company events and catering requirements.
- Other ad hoc projects as time and interest allow.
While we do ask for some specific credentials and expertise (see below), know that your positive attitude and willingness to dive into our team wholeheartedly will count for a lot as we make this hire.
- 2-3 years of relevant experience, ideally within a fast-paced, entrepreneurial office environment. Or, you may be further along in your career with deeper experience, but are looking for something more inspiring.
- Diploma in business administration, human resources, communications, or an acceptable combination of education and progressive work experience.
- Strong organizational, time management, attention to detail, and prioritization skills, including the ability to handle competing demands on your time.
- Ability to work independently when it makes sense. Let’s talk about the best combination of in-office vs remote work for you.
- Proven ability to interact respectfully and productively with various types of people in different functional areas.
- Excellent understanding of business professionalism and your personal impact on the brand of the organization through your interactions.
- Strong English communication skills (both verbal and written). Multi-lingual applicants admired and welcomed.
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office suite of applications.
- Reliable and adaptable, with a willingness to learn and try new things. The potential for growth is significant over time.
The position is based in Richmond, BC (Greater Vancouver).
What We Offer
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) on its journey to commercialization. You will be working together with the leadership team and technical experts to advance a ground-breaking solution that will generate significant economic and environmental benefit. Our team is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are also committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, however they happen to be packaged.
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human.
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
Please send your résumé and cover letter via email to Kim Lawrence, including the job title ‘People & Office Coordinator’ in the subject line.