Buyer/Procurement Specialist (filled)
Term: Full-time, permanent
Ideon Technologies (www.ideon.ai) is transforming subsurface discovery, using the energy from supernova explosions in space to image density anomalies deep beneath the Earth’s surface. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detector hardware, imaging systems and software, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km underground. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining. Watch this short video to learn a bit more about what we do.
We are seeking a creative and well-connected sourcing and procurement specialist who will be responsible for sourcing and procuring key materials and supplies as required by the business. As part of the role, you will:
- Offer expert knowledge of the market for relevant parts and supplies (specifically electronics components), including current prices and fair rates.
- Review inventory usages and develop forecasts to determine purchasing requirements.
- Track inventory levels and ordering lead times of critical parts and supplies.
- Source and vet vendors for critical parts and supplies; facilitate account set-up where necessary.
- Solicit quotations and negotiate terms with existing and new suppliers (e.g., price, quantities, timelines, quality levels).
- Multi-sourcing initiatives as required – second or even third sourcing where necessary.
- Monitor and maintain relationships with key vendors along the supply chain.
- Monitor vendor production schedules and negotiate delivery parameters.
- Issue and expedite purchase orders with vendors.
- Work with team to track and receive inbound orders, validate against order parameters and quality standards.
- Promptly and decisively address issues of concern (e.g., delivery delays, quality deficiencies, etc.).
- Conduct analysis and reporting (e.g., supplier performance analysis, inventory cost analysis, order planning and forecast).
Your credentials and expertise include the following:
- Diploma or degree in supply chain management, purchasing, procurement or similar discipline, or technical training in electronics or electrical engineering with experience in a procurement role.
- APICS certification (preferred), e.g., Certified Supply Chain Professional (CSCP)
- 3-5 years’ experience in purchasing/procurement in technology-focused industry
- Creative solutioning mindset with exceptional problem-solving skills and a can-do attitude
- Strong attention to detail, with advanced organizational capacity
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (esp. Excel), familiar with planning tools such as Smartsheets
- Well developed communication and interpersonal skills; able to be assertive and respectful
- Fluent in the English language. Other languages beneficial
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and to meet scheduled deadlines
The position is based in Richmond, BC (Greater Vancouver) and can be done largely remotely, though we’d like to see you in person from time to time to build some camaraderie.
What We Offer
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) as we scale up our business rapidly. You will be working to advance a ground-breaking solution that will generate significant economic and environmental benefit. Our team is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are also committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, wherever they come from and however they happen to be packaged.
We’ve also just introduced a new benefits program and early equity option allocations for new hires.
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
Please send your résumé and cover letter via email to [email protected], including the job title ‘Buyer/Procurement Specialist’ in the subject line.