Data Engineer (open)
Term: Permanent, full-time
Posted: April 2023
Ideon Technologies uses the energy from supernova explosions in space to image density anomalies deep beneath the Earth’s surface. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km underground. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining. Watch this short video to learn a bit more about what we do.
We are seeking an experienced Data Engineer to help advance our software product roadmap — someone who can apply their curiosity to identify and define important data integrity challenges and apply expert analytical and organizational skills to solve them.
Leveraging information acquired from our own novel imaging hardware as well as publicly available data and customer-provided data sets, you will use various methods to transform raw data into useful data systems. This will involve designing and building solid data pipelines that can securely move data from various sources into our servers for access by our in-house geoscientists.
You’ll ensure that the data is clean, filtered, and of high quality, and that we can track its journey accurately through our systems, producing reliable, visually impactful reports along the way. Your work will involve the development of new data services, including QA/QC, feature engineering, traceability controls, reporting dashboards, and audit trails. Overall, you’ll strive for efficiency by aligning data systems with our business objectives.
In the context of helping define what can be achieved using Ideon muon tomography data in combination with other data streams (both qualitative and quantitative), this role involves:
- Participation in active muon tomography projects
- Processing geophysical data
- Preparing data for prescriptive and predictive modeling
- Enhancing data quality and reliability
- Integrating data, combining disparate geophysical datasets
- Designing and developing data pipelines and databases
- Generating requirements and documentation
- Conducting complex data analysis and reporting on results
- Data visualization and dashboarding
- Collaboration with geoscientists on projects
You bring software development and data analysis expertise, as well as an understanding of DevOps and MLOps concepts and approaches. You have proven experience using your technical capabilities to develop software tools that reveal meaningful new insights in data.
Your credentials, skills, and experience include:
- Degree in science, math, statistics, computer or data science, or engineering
- 5 years’ experience in a data engineer or similar role
- Technical expertise with data models, data mining, and segmentation techniques
- Proven proficiency using data visualization tools.
- Machine learning techniques including supervised machine learning, decision trees, logistic regression
- Experience working with unstructured and qualitative datasets
- Numerical programming capabilities:
- Software programs: Python (intermediate required), SQL (proficient), C++ (beneficial)
- Software packages: Numpy (required) and Scipy, Scikit, Pandas, and Matplotlib (beneficial)
- Operating environments: Linux (required), Azure, and other cloud platforms
We are also looking for the following:
- Legally able and currently documented to work full time hours in Canada
- Well-developed communication skills in English at a fluent or professional level; able to be assertive and respectful
- Willingness to learn, be adaptable, and take initiative in an ever-evolving environment
- A can-do attitude and creative solutioning mindset with great problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and to meet scheduled deadlines
- Able to uncover and present options for improvement and streamlining
- Solid teamwork skills; you’ll jump in to help where you can
- Great interpersonal skills; able to build relationships with colleagues, customers, and external stakeholders
- Able to add something “extra” to our team beyond the work that you do (maybe you like to wow people with your home-baked goods, organize and play in post-work sports games, or educate us on hydroponic gardening)
Location: Our office is located at #150 – 4611 Viking Way, just off the No. 6 Road exit on the east-west connector in Richmond, BC, Canada. Lots of free parking is available and a bus stop is one block away.
Ideon is a hybrid workplace, with some roles needing to work fully in office for obvious reasons (it’s tricky to manufacture from home!). The Data Engineer is a hybrid role. We love seeing our employees in the office a few times a week (2-3 days depending on team needs); you’re welcome to work from home the remainder of the week or come into the office all 5 days if that’s your preference.
Hours of work: 8 hours/day, Monday to Friday. Our typical working hours are 9AM-5PM Pacific Standard Time; some employees shift slightly earlier or later based on business and personal needs. You may occasionally be asked to be flexible with your hours due to business requirements.
What We Offer
- An opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) as we scale up our business rapidly. You will be working to advance a ground-breaking solution that generates significant economic and environmental benefit.
- A team that is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, wherever they come from and however they happen to be packaged.
- Early equity option allocations upon hire plus the opportunity to earn performance-based option allocations annually.
- Accreditation and tuition support.
- Extended health and dental benefits, an employee assistance program, and a health/wellness spending account to cover things that may not fall into other categories (i.e. exercise classes, transit, daycare).
- An annual paid closure between the Christmas and New Year’s stat holidays, in addition to vacation time.
- While we work hard we also sprinkle social events and learning opportunities into our days.
- Parental leave top-up.
- Employee referral bonus.
- Casual dress – we like our jeans and hoodies.
- Free parking.
- Lots of free snacks!
How to Apply and Accommodation Requests
To be considered for this role, please apply via Collage. The process is fairly quick; we won’t ask you to re-type everything already on your resumé – promise! While optional, cover letters help us learn more about you beyond what’s on your resumé (and help us understand what you’re looking for, role or industry shifts, employment gaps, etc.). Hot tip: PDF files display the best.
We aim to provide an approachable and accessible hiring process for every candidate. If there are accommodations our team can make so you can show up as your best self, please let us know via email.