Data Engineer (filled)
Term: Permanent, full-time
Posted: November 2021
Closing: When suitable candidate found
Ideon Technologies is transforming subsurface discovery. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km beneath the Earth’s surface. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining.
We are seeking an experienced data engineer to help advance our software product roadmap — someone who can apply their innate curiosity to identify and define important data integrity challenges and then apply expert analytical and organizational skills to solve them. Leveraging information acquired from our own novel imaging hardware as well as publicly available data and customer-provided data sets, you will use various methods to transform raw data into useful data systems. This will involve designing and building solid data pipelines that can safely and securely move data from various sources into our servers for efficient access by our in-house geoscientists. You’ll ensure that the data is clean, filtered, and of high quality, and that we can track its journey accurately through our systems, producing reliable, visually impactful reports along the way. Your work will involve the development of new data services, including QA/QC, feature engineering, traceability controls, reporting dashboards, and audit trails. Overall, you’ll strive for efficiency by aligning data systems with our business objectives.
In the context of helping define what can be achieved using Ideon muon tomography data in combination with other data streams (both qualitative and quantitative), this role involves:
- Participation in active muon tomography projects
- Processing geophysical data
- Preparing data for prescriptive and predictive modeling
- Enhancing data quality and reliability
- Integrating data, combining disparate geophysical datasets
- Designing and developing data pipelines and databases
- Generating requirements and documentation
- Conducting complex data analysis and reporting on results
- Data visualization and dashboarding
- Collaboration with geoscientists on projects
You bring software development and data analysis expertise, as well as an understanding of DevOps and MLOps concepts and approaches. You have proven experience using your technical capabilities to develop software tools that reveal meaningful new insights in data. Your credentials, skills, and experience include:
- Degree in science, math, statistics, computer or data science, or engineering.
- Previous experience as a data engineer or in a similar role
- Technical expertise with data models, data mining, and segmentation techniques
- Numerical programming capabilities:
- Software programs: Python (intermediate, expert preferred), SQL (proficient), C++ (beneficial)
- Software packages: Numpy (required) and Scipy, Scikit, Pandas, and Matplotlib (optional)
- Operating environments: Linux (required), Azure, AWS and other cloud platforms (beneficial)
- Proven proficiency using data visualization tools.
- Machine learning techniques: including supervised machine learning, decision trees, logistic regression.
- Experience working with unstructured and qualitative datasets.
- Human relationship, listening, and communication skills: to help build trust and understanding in your work.
The position is based in Richmond, BC (Greater Vancouver).
What We Offer
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) on its journey to commercialization. You will be working together with technical experts to advance a ground-breaking solution that will generate significant economic and environmental benefit. Our team is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are also committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, however they happen to be packaged.
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
Please send your résumé and cover letter via email to Kim Lawrence, including the job title ‘Data Engineer’ in the subject line.