Posted: August 2020
Closed: November 2020
Ideon Technologies Inc. is a world pioneer in the application of cosmic-ray muon tomography, based in Richmond, British Columbia, on the beautiful west coast of Canada. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km beneath the Earth’s surface. By detecting subsurface muons and transforming the data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps, we help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. Our innovative technology has been proven in a range of other geotechnical/subsurface applications as well.
We are seeking a Director, AI to lead the build-out of Ideon’s capabilities for multi-dataset analyses and machine learning, identifying opportunities and developing a commercial AI platform for mineral exploration and mining.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Director, AI is the product owner for Ideon’s AI platform, developing roadmaps for commercialization and crafting long-term strategy in partnership with the CTO. You will play a definitive role in bringing client projects to fruition, beginning with clarifying customer goals and desired outcomes, through modeling and survey design, to deployment and data acquisition, processing, and finally to delivering geoscience results and impactful customer outcomes.
Leveraging the datasets acquired from projects as well as publicly available data, you will drive the development of artificial intelligence/machine learning algorithms to combine, make sense of, and leverage disparate geoscientific datasets. This work comprises prospectivity analyses and development of new data services to maximize discovery rates of subsurface anomalies across various application areas.
The Director, AI will help define what can be achieved using muon tomography data in combination with other data streams. This involves participating in and leading muon tomography projects, geophysical data processing, data interpretation, data integration (combining disparate geophysical datasets to perform joint inversions), and ore modeling (using geochemistry, quantitative and qualitative geological data, and geophysical data) to build a digital twin of the ore body.
It is critical that the person in this role understand market requirements and be comfortable working with clients to solve complex problems. This may also involve presenting Ideon’s value proposition and technology platform to larger customer organizations, conference registrants, and tradeshow participants. Ultimately, the outcomes delivered by the Director, AI will allow Ideon to make informed customer engagement and market growth decisions.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- advanced science, math, or engineering degree
- numerical programming capabilities, mathematical expertise, and understanding of state-of-the-art ML/AI approaches
- software programming languages: Python (intermediate, expert preferred)
- software packages: demonstrated capability in at least some of Numpy (required) and Scipy, Scikit, Pandas, and Matplotlib (optional)
- operating environments: Linux (required), AWS and other cloud platforms (beneficial)
- commitment to continued skills growth in computer programming, geophysics modeling and analysis, and geology
- openness to engaging in opportunities for education and development in areas requiring further growth
- strong track-record of turning technical capabilities into world-leading software that finds new insights in data
- human relationship skills in building trust, mutual respect, and understanding
- strong communication skills for engaging customers, team members, and the wider market
desire to play a vital role in shaping the growth of a Canadian start-up, working on leading-edge technologies, focused on delivering great customer outcomes.
The position is based in Richmond, BC (Greater Vancouver) and will (ultimately) require some travel.
What we offer
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle accelerator laboratory) at one of the most exciting moments in its journey to commercialization. You will be working together with company founders and technical experts to advance a ground-breaking solution that will generate significant economic and environmental benefit. Our team is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We promise competitive compensation, work-life flexibility, and benefits including equity options.