Director, Geosciences (filled)
Term: Permanent, full-time
Ideon Technologies is transforming subsurface discovery, using the energy from supernova explosions in space to image density anomalies deep beneath the Earth’s surface. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detector hardware, imaging systems and software, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km underground. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining. Watch this short video to learn a bit more about what we do.
Reporting directly to our CTO, this role is critical to achieving our vision of transforming subsurface discovery and our mission of accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining. As the leader of our geosciences portfolio, you will serve as in-house expert on geology and geophysics, shaping our deliverables in the global mining market and mentoring a growing team of analysts. This is your opportunity to play a vital role in shaping the growth of a Canadian start-up business on the global stage.
Your responsibilities will include the following:
- Lead the geosciences team, providing strategic direction, technical guidance, mentorship, and coaching while role-modeling our core values.
- Work together with colleagues across the company to design and build a world-class subsurface intelligence solution that delights our customers and adds undeniable value to their organizations.
- Drive creation and execution of geoscience product development roadmaps and operational plans.
- Own and effectively scale the full cycle of geoscience-driven activity, from producing accurate survey simulations and assessing technical feasibility of customer projects, through to data analysis and results interpretation.
- Serve as technical review and approval point (as needed) on all geoscience-related activity undertaken across the company.
- Partner with the customer partnerships and experience teams to engage and educate prospective customers about how Ideon solutions can provide critical value to their geoscience-driven objectives.
- Develop, refine and/or apply standard operating procedures and quality parameters for data management, processing, analysis, and reporting.
- Steward customer-provided data with respect and confidentiality.
- Ensure your team has the right tools, processes, and principles in place to deliver work on time and to specification.
- Engage in strategic planning and budgeting.
- Provide leadership to all team staffing and professional development activities.
A well-rounded geoscientist, you have a grounding in geophysics and geology that will help you understand and shape the potential mineral exploration applications of Ideon’s advanced subsurface Discovery Platform™. Your team plays a critical supporting role in bringing client projects to fruition by developing and running simulations; processing and analyzing newly acquired data; creating multi dataset inversions; and identifying new opportunities as they arise. You will guide the growing group to ensure project objectives are being achieved at a high level of quality and that Ideon is providing technically feasible, cost-effective solutions to our customers.
In addition, your credentials, attributes, and qualifications include:
- PGeo designation is required, or equivalent transferrable designation.
- Graduate degree in geophysics, geology, closely related field or equivalent.
- Demonstrated proficiency with advanced geophysical methods and concepts.
- 10+ years of geophysical analysis experience analyzing and interpreting field data and running forward modeling / simulations with provided data sets.
- Demonstrated depth of experience in developing new geoscience analysis products and tools.
- Strong understanding of various geophysical methods and geophysical inversions.
- Strong understanding of geology and experience with the theoretical and practical aspects of mineral exploration specifically, and subsurface insights in general.
- Expert-level proficiency with geophysical analysis software to fully process and analyze a range of survey data.
- Software skills: Python (expert level); C++ (beginner level, intermediate level would be a good asset); comfortable in both Linux and Windows environments; experience in algorithm development.
- Proven ability to meet ambitious project delivery schedules.
- Knowledgeable about industry trends and best practices.
- Strong organizational skills, including attention to detail and ability to execute at a high level with independence.
- Personable style with strong communication and presentation skills.
- Technical team leadership capability, with proven track record of leading high-performance teams.
The position is based in Richmond, BC (Greater Vancouver). We are building a new team and fostering a richly collaborative culture. We embrace a hybrid model of in-office and remote work, but will not consider candidates wishing to be 100% remote.
What We Offer
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle accelerator laboratory) at one of the most exciting moments in its journey to commercialization. You will be working together with company founders and technical experts to advance a ground-breaking solution that will generate significant economic and environmental benefit. Our team is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are also committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, however they happen to be packaged.
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
• Driven by industry, informed by science.
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
• Inspired to create, wired to deliver.
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
• Unified as a team, personally accountable.
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
• Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human.
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.