Term: Permanent, full-time
Levels: Junior, Intermediate, and Senior
Posted: September 2022
Ideon Technologies is transforming subsurface discovery, using the energy from supernova explosions in space to image density anomalies deep beneath the Earth’s surface. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km underground. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining. Watch this short video to learn a bit more about what we do.
At Ideon Technologies, geophysical analysts have a deep grounding in geology that helps them explore and model potential mineral exploration applications of Ideon’s advanced subsurface Discovery Platform™. You will play a critical supporting role in bringing client projects to fruition by developing and running simulations; processing and analyzing newly acquired data; creating multi dataset inversions; and identifying new opportunities as they arise. In this role, you will ensure project objectives are being achieved at a high level of quality and provide technically feasible, cost-effective solutions to our customers.
Specifically, the role involves:
- Performing geophysical data processing and analysis.
- Running site simulations as part of proofs of concept for prospective customers.
- Assessing feasibility of technology application to as-yet-unstudied use-cases and deposits
- Complete data usability assessments.
- Interpreting results effectively.
- Taking responsibility for the overall technical quality and proficiency for data processing and analysis.
- Developing, refining and/or applying standard operating procedures for data management, processing, analysis, storage and reporting.
Your qualifications include:
- PGeo designation desirable.
- Degree (min) in geophysics, geology, closely related field or equivalent demonstrated proficiency with advanced geophysical methods and concepts.
- Junior analyst: Bachelor’s degree
- Intermediate / Senior analyst: MSc or higher preferred. Sub-specialization in data science is a strong asset but not required
- Must have geophysical analysis experience analyzing and interpreting field data and running forward modeling / simulations with provided data sets. You have a strong understanding of geophysical methods, and you know how geophysical inversions work and the subtleties that are involved.
- Junior analyst: 2-3 years’ experience
- Intermediate analyst: 7-8 years’ experience
- Senior analyst: 10+ year’s experience and demonstrated depth of experience in developing new geoscience analysis products and tools.
- Must have demonstrated experience and a high level of proficiency for using geophysical analysis software to fully process and independently analyze a range of survey data, such as ArcGIS, QGIS, AutoCAD, GoCAD, LeapFrog, Geosoft Oasis Montaj, among others.
- Must have a strong understanding of geology and experience with the theoretical and practical aspects of mineral exploration specifically, and subsurface insights in general.
- Software languages: Python (intermediate required , expert is an asset); C++ (intermediate) is also an asset though not required; must be comfortable in both Linux and Windows environments
- Personable style with strong communication and presentation skills.
The position is based in Richmond, BC (Greater Vancouver) and can involve some work from home, but is not fully remote.
What We Offer
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) as we scale up our business rapidly. You will be working to advance a ground-breaking solution that will generate significant economic and environmental benefit. Our team is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are also committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, wherever they come from and however they happen to be packaged.
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
Please send your résumé and cover letter via email to Kim Lawrence, including the job title in the subject line.