Hardware Systems Specialist (open)
Term: Permanent, full-time
Posted: May 2023
Ideon Technologies uses the energy from supernova explosions in space to image density anomalies deep beneath the Earth’s surface. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our subsurface intelligence platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km underground. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining. Watch this short video to learn a bit more about what we do.
We are seeking a Hardware Systems Specialist with electronic and electric system integration experience to lead troubleshooting and quality control (QC) of our proprietary subsurface imaging detectors in support of excellent performance and reliability.
Reporting to the Director, Manufacturing & Project Delivery, you will work closely with the manufacturing team including Manufacturing Technicians as well as interface with key resources in the Research & Development and Engineering teams.
This is a role for someone with a breadth of hands-on troubleshooting experience and strong technical skills; a commitment to detail and the highest safety practices; a passion for learning about ground-breaking new technology; and a positive, helpful, can-do attitude.
As part of the role, you will:
- work in a Linux environment, write and debug code and improve automation using Python
- troubleshoot imaging detector components using various measurement and testing equipment
- conduct quality control checks and in-process inspections on parts and assemblies and report on issues and patterns
- troubleshoot hardware and software issues
- analyze, propose, and implement solutions to mitigate recurrence of issues
- maintain Ideon’s gage repeatability and reproducibility processes
- contribute to develop and maintain high quality work processes, instructions, and standard operating procedures
- inspect equipment before and after deployment to ensure it is safe and fully operational (testing and data validation)
- maintain and suggest enhancements to the assembly process as needed
- assess assembly performance and play an integral role in delivering improvements
- improve repeatability of assemblies and reduce variability between articles
- working closely with hardware, software, and geosciences teams, maintain a suite of scripts and tools used in in-process testing and final performance evaluation of each device
Priorities in the first few months will include:
- learning the ins and outs of how our imaging detectors are built in exquisite detail, and ready to take the lead on troubleshooting, prioritizing process and system improvements
Success in the role includes:
- ensuring that the processes and checks yield consistent quality of assembled systems
- detectors built right the first time (>95%)
Must-haves – You’ll need the following to move forward in the hiring process (and be successful in the role).
- Degree in physics, engineering (computer, electrical) or an equivalent combo of training and experience
- 3 years’ experience in a similar role diagnosing systems with a general understanding of signal to noise and calibration as they relate to performance and troubleshooting
- Hands-on experience working with electronics, including PCB troubleshooting, soldering, and testing
- Experience with embedded systems (microcontrollers, FPGAs and ASICs) and basics of firmware code
- Intermediate level skills and experience with object-oriented coding in Python – we will ask to see your code and/or complete a technical assessment
- Experience using Python to interface with hardware and other systems and experience using NumPy, Matplotlib, Pandas
- Beginner level skills and experience with C++ (intermediate level is a plus)
- Intermediate level experience with Linux, very familiar with shell scripting (Bash, zsh, or other)
- Able to use an oscilloscope to troubleshoot electronic circuits
- Legally able and currently documented to work full time hours in Canada
We are also looking for the following:
- Well-developed communication skills in English at a fluent or professional level; able to be assertive and respectful
- Willingness to learn, be adaptable, and take initiative in an ever-evolving environment
- A can-do attitude and creative solutioning mindset with great problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and to meet scheduled deadlines
- Able to uncover and present options for improvement and streamlining
- Solid teamwork skills; you’ll jump in to help where you can
- Great interpersonal skills; able to build relationships with colleagues, customers, and external stakeholders
- Able to add something “extra” to our team beyond the work that you do (maybe you like to wow people with your home-baked goods, organize and play in post-work sports games, or educate us on hydroponic gardening)
Nice-to-haves – While it would be nice to if you had some of the below, we’re happy to train, coach and share our experience.
- PCB design experience would be desirable
- Intermediate firmware coding experience
- Experience with quality control frameworks (i.e. six sigma)
- Experience in an assembly or manufacturing environment
- Some training in health & safety, i.e. first aid, WHMIS
- Some experience in a tech start-up or the mining industry
- Some experience using tools such as Slack, Zoom, Notion
Location: Our office is located at #150 – 4611 Viking Way, just off the No. 6 Road exit on the east-west connector in Richmond, BC, Canada. Lots of free parking is available and a bus stop is one block away.
Ideon is a hybrid workplace, with some roles needing to work fully in office for obvious reasons (it’s tricky to manufacture from home!). The Hardware Systems Specialist is a fully in-office role and required to work from our office 5 days/week.
Hours of work: 8 hours/day, Monday to Friday. Our typical working hours are 9AM-5PM Pacific Standard Time; some employees shift slightly earlier or later based on business and personal needs. You may occasionally be asked to be flexible with your hours due to business requirements.
What We Offer
- An opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) as we scale up our business rapidly. You will be working to advance a ground-breaking solution that generates significant economic and environmental benefit.
- A team that is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, wherever they come from and however they happen to be packaged.
- Early equity option allocations upon hire plus the opportunity to earn performance-based option allocations annually.
- Accreditation and tuition support.
- Extended health and dental benefits, an employee assistance program, and a health/wellness spending account to cover things that may not fall into other categories (i.e. exercise classes, transit, daycare).
- An annual paid closure between the Christmas and New Year’s stat holidays, in addition to vacation time.
- While we work hard we also sprinkle social events and learning opportunities into our days.
- Parental leave top-up.
- Employee referral bonus.
- Casual dress – we like our jeans and hoodies.
- Free parking.
- Lots of free snacks!
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
How to Apply and Accommodation Requests
To be considered for this role, please apply via Collage. The process is fairly quick; we won’t ask you to re-type everything already on your resumé – promise! While optional, cover letters help us learn more about you beyond what’s on your resumé (and help us understand what you’re looking for, role or industry shifts, employment gaps, etc.). Hot tip: PDF files display the best.
We aim to provide an approachable and accessible hiring process for every candidate. If there are accommodations our team can make so you can show up as your best self, please let us know via email.