Term: Permanent, full-time
Posted: September 2022
Ideon Technologies is transforming subsurface discovery, using the energy from supernova explosions in space to image density anomalies deep beneath the Earth’s surface. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km underground. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining. Watch this short video to learn a bit more about what we do.
As an intermediate software engineer, you will work directly on the creation of new features and components of our advanced subsurface imaging discovery platform. Working within our software team, you will have a high degree of autonomy in implementation paired with support and guidance from senior engineers, geophysicists, particle physicists and other subject matter experts. This is a very hands-on role, and you will spend most of your day developing and testing your own code and guiding more junior team members. Joining a rapidly growing start-up means you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of different projects, from cloud IoT implementation to dashboard development. Learning new skills will be a hallmark of your time at Ideon and you will be surrounded by eager mentors.
Specifically, this role involves:
- developing new features and components for Ideon’s subsurface imaging discovery platform
- working with your team break down large features into actionable chunks, ensuring all requirements are met
- stewarding and expanding our testing framework that ensures our code is production-ready
- learning the ins and outs of our suite of software and how it interacts with the hardware we build
- advising and assisting team more junior team members
While you will be supporting our particle physicists and geophysicists directly, you do not require experience in either domain. We’re more interested in your ability to break down technical requirements into actionable tasks for engineers – as well as your internal wiring as a good human. If you are someone who thrives in the dynamic environment of a technology start-up, loves the intricacies of code, and you’re not shy about asking questions or offering a valuable perspective, we’re probably a good match.
Your qualifications include:
- A degree in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years’ (5 years preferred) experience developing software in a team environment
- Experience developing software for custom hardware or in a scientific setting a bonus
- Expert Python skills and a basic command of C++. Additional languages are a bonus.
- Comfortable working in Linux environments and developing for them.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- References who can speak to your personal style, attitude, and coding prowess.
The position is based in Richmond, BC (Greater Vancouver) and can involve some work from home, but is not fully remote.
What We Offer
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) as we scale up our business rapidly. You will be working to advance a ground-breaking solution that will generate significant economic and environmental benefit. Our team is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are also committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, wherever they come from and however they happen to be packaged.
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
Please send your résumé and cover letter via email to Kim Lawrence, including the job title in the subject line.