Term: Permanent, full-time
Posted: December 2022
Ideon Technologies is transforming subsurface discovery, using the energy from supernova explosions in space to image density anomalies deep beneath the Earth’s surface. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detector hardware, imaging systems and software, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km underground. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining. Watch this short video to learn a bit more about what we do.
Ideon is growing quickly and we’re seeking to hire our first in-house IT Support Specialist. In this role, you’ll be involved in a range of mission-critical IT support activities that contribute directly to the success of this BC-born geophysics start-up. We all recognize and appreciate how vital this role is to sustaining our desired velocity as we scale up.
Reporting to the Director of Software, you’ll work closely with colleagues, suppliers, and partners to ensure that our technology infrastructure and tools support user needs and perform consistently at optimal levels. You will be working in a mixed Linux and Windows environment amongst experts in applied physics, software, hardware, and manufacturing. You’ll also have the chance to be involved in projects such as server virtualization, containerization, networking, and security.
Specifically, this role involves:
- Acquiring, configuring, deploying, and tracking desktops, laptops, tablets, peripherals, and other digital devices.
- Managing software licensing and patches/updates.
- Creating and managing accounts for enterprise tools.
- Managing Azure Active Directory.
- Investigating, troubleshooting, and providing end-user support for office hardware and software issues.
- Providing technical guidance to staff and answering inquiries as required.
- Documenting network architecture and helping to shape/manage our growing tech stack.
- Setting up and managing Linux servers and workstations.
- Managing and ensuring the integrity of user and data backups.
- Implementing and managing VPN.
- Monitoring performance of our wireless AP ecosystem.
- Proactively monitoring the health of our systems using appropriate tools to ensure optimal performance.
- Stewarding cybersecurity practices, including penetration tests and review of recommended actions.
- Refining SharePoint layout and normalizing permissions.
- Assessing and recommending new tools prior to adoption. Consolidating and standardizing tools where necessary.
- Preparing and applying IT policies and documentation, as needed.
- Developing a business continuity plan for IT systems, including back-up and recovery protocols.
- Working with external vendors and partners, as required.
- Preparing and delivering user training, as required.
While credentials are important, we’re particularly interested in your ability to keep our fast-paced company humming, putting solid systems in place and maintaining them for optimal performance – as well as your internal wiring as a good human. If you are someone who thrives in the dynamic environment of a technology start-up, loves variety in your work, and puts a great deal of care into everything you do, we’re probably a good match.
Your qualifications include:
- Diploma or degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent
- IT certifications are considered an asset
- 3+ years progressive experience with Microsoft and Windows environments
- Experience with Tier 1 and 2 issues support for Office 365
- Specific expertise in MS SharePoint
- Expertise in Azure AD management and VPN management
- Comfortable working in Linux environments. Linux sysadmin experience would be a great asset.
- Knowledge of web technologies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the patience to support new or less sophisticated users
- Proficiency in problem determination and troubleshooting
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and accountability
The position is based in Richmond, BC (Greater Vancouver).
What We Offer
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) as we scale up our business rapidly. You will be working to advance a ground-breaking solution that will generate significant economic and environmental benefit. Our team is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are also committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, wherever they come from and however they happen to be packaged.
We’ve also just introduced a new benefits program and early equity option allocations for new hires.
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
• Driven by industry, informed by science.
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
• Inspired to create, wired to deliver.
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
• Unified as a team, personally accountable.
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
• Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human.
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
Please send your résumé and short cover letter via email, including the job title in the subject line.