Manufacturing & Assembly Technician (open)
Term: Permanent, full-time
Ideon Technologies (www.ideon.ai) is transforming subsurface discovery, using the energy from supernova explosions in space to image density anomalies deep beneath the Earth’s surface. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detector hardware, imaging systems and software, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km underground. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining. Watch this short video to learn a bit more about what we do.
We are looking for a Manufacturing & Assembly Technician to join our growing production team; you will play a critical role in upholding our high technical standards while directly enabling customer success.
You will be responsible for applying your assembly expertise and personal care to the production of our patented high-tech devices. Your day-to-day activities will include:
- Collaborating with a team of physicists, engineers, and technologists on the production of our advanced subsurface imaging detectors.
- Carrying out precise assembly tasks with great attention to detail.
- Assembling and troubleshooting detector components using various measurement and testing equipment.
- Conducting quality checks and in-process inspections on parts and assemblies.
You are a detailed and hands-on person by nature, have excellent hand-eye coordination, and take pride in a job well done – especially when it involves complex components or intricate assembly. You are not satisfied with good enough, but rather strive for perfection for the systems you build.
Ideally, you bring the following combination of credentials, skills, and attributes:
- Technical training and/or diploma in a field such as robotics, mechatronics, electronics or similar.
- 3 years+ experience in assembly and manufacturing of complex systems.
- Experience doing careful assembly involving small and often delicate components.
- Experience using and properly caring for a variety of hand tools, measurement devices, and operating equipment.
- Able to read and interpret technical documents such as dimensional drawings, measurement data, work instructions, and standard operating procedures.
- Eager to learn, collaborate, and tackle new challenges.
- Reliable and motivated, capable of working to a defined schedule.
- Well developed communication skills in English at a fluent or professional level.
- Solid teamwork skills; you’ll jump in to help where you can.
- Able to embrace a constructive team environment where members communicate openly about how to improve systems and processes.
- Experience promoting a health and safety culture; awareness of health and safety requirements i.e. inspections, WHMIS; occupational first aid training is an asset.
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Legally able and currently documented to work full time hours in Canada.
Location: Our office is located at #150 – 4611 Viking Way, just off the No. 6 Road exit on the east-west connector in Richmond, BC, Canada. Lots of free parking is available and a bus stop is one block away.
The Manufacturing & Assembly Technician is a fully in-office role and required to work from our office 5 days/week.
Hours of work: 8 hours/day, Monday to Friday. Our typical working hours are 9AM-5PM Pacific Standard Time; some employees shift slightly earlier or later based on business and personal needs. You may occasionally be asked to be flexible with your hours due to business requirements.
What We Offer
- An opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) as we scale up our business rapidly. You will be working to advance a ground-breaking solution that generates significant economic and environmental benefit.
- A team that is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, wherever they come from and however they happen to be packaged.
- Early equity option allocations upon hire plus the opportunity to earn performance-based option allocations annually.
- Accreditation and tuition support.
- Extended health and dental benefits, an employee assistance program, and a health/wellness spending account to cover things that may not fall into other categories (i.e. exercise classes, transit, daycare).
- An annual paid closure between the Christmas and New Year’s stat holidays, in addition to vacation time.
- While we work hard we also sprinkle social events and learning opportunities into our days.
- Parental leave top-up.
- Employee referral bonus.
- Casual dress – we like our jeans and hoodies.
- Free parking.
- Lots of free snacks!
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
Please send your résumé via email to [email protected], including the job title ‘Manufacturing & Assembly Technician’ in the subject line.