Marketing & Communications Specialist (filled)
Term: Permanent, full-time
Posted: March 2023
Ideon Technologies uses the energy from supernova explosions in space to image density anomalies deep beneath the Earth’s surface. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km underground. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining. Watch this short video to learn a bit more about what we do.
We are seeking a multi-talented Marketing & Communications Specialist to join our team. This is a broad-based position with the opportunity to be involved directly in marketing and communications strategy and operations, including brand positioning, experience mapping, campaign development, and creative content generation.
As part of the role, you may find yourself creating compelling visual and written content for a variety of audiences and channels, rolling out industry-facing campaigns, engaging in internal communications, organizing events or photo/video shoots, datamining in our CRM, developing marketing collateral materials, refining our web presence and SEO strategy, working with creative vendors, and pulling together analytics.
If you’re looking for a diversity of activity and exposure to ‘soup-to-nuts’ marketing, along with an opportunity to flex your creative chops, we’re looking for you! We will play to your strengths and where you’re looking to grow. And no, you won’t be a lone wolf – you’ll be working closely with someone with decades of experience in marcom across multiple industries.
Priorities will include:
- Learning about our advanced technology, wrapping your arms around our brand, and understanding how to best engage a variety of audiences from scientific expert to layperson and everything in between.
- Helping to refine our strategic narrative, key messaging, and supporting proof points for communicating with multiple audiences.
- Advancing our suite of (primarily digital) marketing collateral, ensuring cohesion across the board.
- Diving into our social media channels and managing engagement activity and analytics across our chosen platforms.
- Leading the enhancement of our brand asset base, including product and people photography/video, environmental graphics and merchandise.
- Developing and pursuing earned media opportunities.
We’re looking for someone with a great attitude, innate creativity, fearless inquisitiveness, fresh perspective, and a willingness to get involved in everything we do (and yes, that may involve some unglamourous activities, but we promise you’ll build character from it!). You’ll need the following to move forward in the hiring process (and be successful in the role).
- Diploma or degree in business, marketing, communications (or English or journalism), or equivalent combo of training and experience.
- 2-6 years’ experience in a similar role, including practical application of your skills and knowledge in marketing and communications tasks and practices.
- Interest and/or experience in working with technologically complex subject matter.
- Hands-on experience in an office environment working with a variety of people.
- Well developed communication and writing skills in English at a fluent level. We appreciate good grammar and appropriate punctuation!
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Meaningful exposure to CRM and marketing automation tools (e.g. HubSpot, Marketo, SalesForce), web CMS tools (e.g. WordPress), and social media management platforms (e.g. Hootsuite).
- Familiarity with campaign management tools in social media platforms, particularly LinkedIn.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and to meet scheduled deadlines.
- Legally able and currently documented to work full time hours in Canada.
While it would be nice to if you had some of the below, we’re happy to train, coach and share our experience:
- Interested in exploring all aspects of marketing and communications strategy and execution.
- Able to engage with colleagues in a confident manner.
- Good analytical skills, detailed-oriented, focus on meaningful outcomes for audiences.
- Reliable and proactively communicative when/if things don’t go according to plan.
- Able to create and manage processes.
- Willing to share new ideas proactively; able to receive and apply constructive feedback in the spirit of great learning.
- Familiarity with the principles of SEO/SEM.
- If you have creative skills such as photography, videography, visual editing, animation, or graphic design, we’ll happily put them to good use.
Location: Our office is located at #150 – 4611 Viking Way, just off the No. 6 Road exit on the east-west connector in Richmond, BC, Canada. Lots of free parking is available and a bus stop is one block away.
Ideon is a hybrid workplace, with some roles needing to work fully in office for obvious reasons (it’s tricky to manufacture from home!). This is a hybrid role. We love seeing our employees in the office a few times a week (2-3 days depending on team needs); you’re welcome to work from home the remainder of the week or come into the office all 5 days if that’s your preference.
Hours of work: 8 hours/day, Monday to Friday. Our typical working hours are 9AM-5PM Pacific Standard Time; some employees shift slightly earlier or later based on business and personal needs. You may occasionally be asked to be flexible with your hours due to business requirements.
What We Offer
- An opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) as we scale up our business rapidly. You will be working to advance a ground-breaking solution that generates significant economic and environmental benefit.
- A team that is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, wherever they come from and however they happen to be packaged.
- Early equity option allocations upon hire plus the opportunity to earn performance-based option allocations annually.
- Accreditation and tuition support.
- Extended health and dental benefits, an employee assistance program, and a health/wellness spending account to cover things that may not fall into other categories (i.e. exercise classes, transit, daycare).
- An annual paid closure between the Christmas and New Year’s stat holidays, in addition to vacation time.
- While we work hard we also sprinkle social events and learning opportunities into our days.
- Parental leave top-up.
- Employee referral bonus.
- Casual dress – we like our jeans and hoodies.
- Free parking.
- Lots of free snacks!
A word on compensation: We choose not to post full compensation ranges because as a start-up we want to be flexible in who we are bringing on board. If you move forward in the hiring process, in our initial conversation we’ll clarify your expectations and provide additional info on what the total compensation package includes. We aim to provide a blend of salary, share options, health and dental benefits, tuition support, paid time off, and the opportunity to do meaningful work for an organization making a positive impact on the world all while respecting the value you offer and the skills you bring.
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
- We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
- We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
- We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human
- We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
How to Apply and Accommodation Requests
To be considered for this role, send your resumé and a brief cover letter via email with Marketing and Communications Specialist in the subject line. The cover letter will show us your writing style, whether you used ChatGPT 😊, and a bit of your personality.
We aim to provide an approachable and accessible hiring process for every candidate. If there are accommodations our team can make so you can show up as your best self, please let us know.