Production Supervisor (open)
Term: Permanent, full-time
Posted: April 2023
Ideon Technologies uses the energy from supernova explosions in space to image density anomalies deep beneath the Earth’s surface. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km underground. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining. Watch this short video to learn a bit more about what we do.
We are seeking a Production Supervisor – a critical role responsible for upholding our high technical standards while directly enabling customer success – to coordinate production of our advanced subsurface imaging detectors.
Reporting to the Director, Manufacturing and Project Delivery, and collaborating with a team of physicists, engineers, and technicians, you will be responsible for organizing and maintaining our production space while also applying your assembly expertise to the production of our patented high-tech imaging devices.
You will lead a team of Manufacturing Technicians and a Warehouse Associate by providing daily supervision, operations and safety training, and regular coaching and mentoring.
As part of the role, you will:
- Plan, schedule, monitor and coordinate the production team to ensure targets are met.
- Manage our material resource planning (MRP) system to ensure it is accurate and utilized properly.
- Produce and present production reports.
- Coordinate end-to-end testing.
- Ensure quality assurance processes are followed consistently.
- Participate in monthly production forecasting.
- Work closely with our Buyer/Procurement Specialist and Warehouse Associate to monitor and maintain inventory levels.
- Design, maintain, and optimize production layout, organization, and cleanliness.
- Champion a health and safety culture, including training, implementing best practices, and making continuous improvements.
- Support equipment set-up and specification (i.e., 3D printers), parts sourcing, packing, and shipping.
- Develop and maintain work processes, instructions, and standard operating procedures to ensure consistency.
- Participate in capacity planning alongside the Director, Manufacturing and Project Delivery.
- Lead people leadership activities for the team, including hiring, onboarding, performance management, and learning and development.
Priorities in the first few months will include:
- Mastering Fulcrum, the MRP system we recently implemented.
- Ensure production pace matches production forecasting.
Success in the role includes:
- Delivering against production commitments while maintaining safety and quality.
- Embedding and enhancing lean manufacturing processes in our production work.
You are a detailed and organized person by nature, have excellent hand-eye coordination, and take pride in a job well done – especially when it involves complex components or intricate assembly.
The ideal candidate will also bring the following:
- Diploma or bachelor’s degree in a field such as manufacturing engineering, robotics, mechatronics, electronics, or a similar field.
- Direct, hands-on manufacturing experience in a prototyping environment or doing careful assembly involving small components.
- 5 years’ people leadership experience in a manufacturing setting.
- Experience using, managing, and training others on using a MRP system.
- Experience managing a dynamic inventory of parts.
- Experience with lean manufacturing processes.
- Experience using and properly caring for a variety of hand tools, measurement devices, and operating equipment.
- Experience promoting a health and safety culture; some awareness of health and safety requirements i.e. inspections, WHMIS; occupational first aid training is an asset.
- Able to read and interpret technical documents such as dimensional drawings, measurement data, and work instructions.
- Able to embrace a constructive team environment, where members communicate openly about how to improve systems and processes.
- Well-developed communication skills in English at a fluent or professional level; able to be assertive and respectful
- Legally able and currently documented to work full time hours in Canada.
We are also looking for the following:
- A can-do attitude and creative solutioning mindset with great problem-solving skills
- Willingness to learn, be adaptable, and take initiative in an ever-evolving environment
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and to meet scheduled deadlines
- Able to uncover and present options for improvement and streamlining
- Solid teamwork skills; you’ll jump in to help where you can
- Great interpersonal skills; able to build relationships with colleagues, customers, and external stakeholders
- Able to add something “extra” to our team beyond the work that you do (maybe you like to wow people with your home-baked goods, organize and play in post-work sports games, or educate us on hydroponic gardening)
Location: Our office is located at #150 – 4611 Viking Way, just off the No. 6 Road exit on the east-west connector in Richmond, BC, Canada. Lots of free parking is available and a bus stop is one block away.
Ideon is a hybrid workplace, with some roles needing to work fully in office for obvious reasons (it’s tricky to manufacture from home!). The Production Supervisor is a fully in-office role and required to work from our office 5 days/week.
Hours of work: 8 hours/day, Monday to Friday. Our typical working hours are 9AM-5PM Pacific Standard Time; some employees shift slightly earlier or later based on business and personal needs. You may occasionally be asked to be flexible with your hours due to business requirements.
What We Offer
- An opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) as we scale up our business rapidly. You will be working to advance a ground-breaking solution that generates significant economic and environmental benefit.
- A team that is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, wherever they come from and however they happen to be packaged.
- Early equity option allocations upon hire plus the opportunity to earn performance-based option allocations annually.
- Accreditation and tuition support.
- Extended health and dental benefits, an employee assistance program, and a health/wellness spending account to cover things that may not fall into other categories (i.e. exercise classes, transit, daycare).
- An annual paid closure between the Christmas and New Year’s stat holidays, in addition to vacation time.
- While we work hard we also sprinkle social events and learning opportunities into our days.
- Parental leave top-up.
- Employee referral bonus.
- Casual dress – we like our jeans and hoodies.
- Free parking.
- Lots of free snacks!
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
How to Apply and Accommodation Requests
To be considered for this role, please apply via Collage. The process is fairly quick; we won’t ask you to re-type everything already on your resumé – promise! While optional, cover letters help us learn more about you beyond what’s on your resumé (and help us understand what you’re looking for, role or industry shifts, employment gaps, etc.). Hot tip: PDF files display the best.
We aim to provide an approachable and accessible hiring process for every candidate. If there are accommodations our team can make so you can show up as your best self, please let us know via email.