Project Geophysicist (filled)
Term: Permanent, full-time
Ideon Technologies is transforming subsurface discovery. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km beneath the Earth’s surface. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining.
We are seeking a project geophysicist ready to become a technical proponent for cosmic-ray muon tomography and a hands-on expert in deployment of our systems. The project geophysicist plays a direct role in bringing client projects to fruition, reflecting customer goals in modeling and survey design; traveling to site and actively organizing/managing field deployments; monitoring data acquisition and processing; and ultimately delivering geoscience results and impactful customer outcomes. We’re looking for someone who is comfortable working in the field (sometimes in extreme or remote conditions), and who can improvise on the ground to make things work in complex situations – often with limited resources close at hand.
Specifically, the role requires:
- Geophysical survey design and simulation modeling.
- Deploying instruments on land and down boreholes.
- Geophysical data collection, processing, and analysis.
- Interpreting results, reporting, and visualizing outcomes effectively.
- Educating and coaching clients as they adopt our discovery platform.
- Optimizing the Ideon tool base.
- Overseeing field operations activities and planning logistics for deployments, including supervision of others as we grow.
- Understanding, upholding, and developing where necessary, standard operating procedures and safety protocols.
- Administrative and logistical duties as required.
Your knowledge of a broad range of geophysics techniques, geology, and mineral exploration challenges will be key to articulating the value advantage of muon tomography to clients and understanding how to deploy it most effectively. You are equally comfortable interacting with technical teams as you are with end users of the advanced subsurface intelligence Ideon provides. And while you are at home in an office environment, you also thrive in the field – no matter what the conditions. You are an experienced fieldwork veteran who can provide guidance to Ideon’s deployments and take a hands-on approach to making sure the job is done safely, correctly, and on time.
Your credentials and experience include:
- Education: a science, math, or engineering degree in geophysics, P.Geo. designation
- Fieldwork: At least 5 years of ground-based survey experience in the field, deploying instruments on land and downhole. Practical problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze data as it is generated. Physically able to work in remote locations and versed in safety protocols for same.
- Geophysics: experience developing geophysical surveys, gathering and analyzing field data. You should have a strong understanding of geophysical methods and at least a basic understanding of how inversions of multiple types of geophysical data work. You should also be comfortable working with common technical software for geophysics.
- Coding: Python – beginner level (required); intermediate level (nice to have).
- Technically competent, with practical skills in equipment operation and repair.
- Capable in project management for deployments, including logistics, equipment planning, contractor engagement as needed
- Personable style with strong communication and presentation skills.
Trained for safety at mine sites and remote locations; willing to undergo specific client training as required.
What We Offer
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) on its journey to commercialization. You will be working together with the leadership team and technical experts to advance a ground-breaking solution that will generate significant economic and environmental benefit. Our team is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are also committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, however they happen to be packaged.
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
Please send your résumé and cover letter via email to Kim Lawrence, including the job title ‘Project Geophysicist’ in the subject line.