Term: Permanent, full-time
Posted: December 2020
Ideon Technologies is a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography, based in Richmond, British Columbia on the beautiful west coast of Canada. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km beneath the Earth’s surface. By detecting subsurface muons and transforming the data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps, we help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. Our innovative technology has been proven in a range of other geotechnical/subsurface applications as well. Here’s a short video about what we do.
We are seeking a project geophysicist ready to become a technical proponent for cosmic-ray muon tomography. Reporting to the CTO, the project geophysicist plays a direct role in bringing client projects to fruition, reflecting customer goals in modeling and survey design; traveling to site and actively managing field deployments, data acquisition, and processing; and ultimately delivering geoscience results and impactful customer outcomes.
We’re looking for some who has ‘seen it all’ and can improvise on the ground to make things work in complex situations – often with limited resources close at hand.
Specifically, the role requires:
- Geophysical survey design and simulation modeling.
- Deploying instruments on land and down boreholes.
- Geophysical data collection, processing, and analysis.
- Interpreting results, reporting, and visualizing outcomes effectively.
- Educating and coaching clients as they adopt our discovery platform.
- Optimizing the Ideon tool base.
- Overseeing field operations activities, including supervision of staff/contractors as we grow.
- Understanding, upholding, and developing where necessary, standard operating procedures and safety protocols.
- Administrative and logistical duties as required.
Your knowledge of a broad range of geophysics techniques, geology, and mineral exploration challenges will be key to articulating the value advantage of muon tomography to clients and understanding how to deploy it most effectively. You are equally comfortable interacting with technical teams as you are with end users of the advanced subsurface intelligence Ideon provides. And while you are at home in an office environment, you also thrive in the field – no matter what the conditions. You are an experienced fieldwork veteran who can provide guidance to Ideon’s deployments and take a hands-on approach to making sure the job is done safely, correctly, and on time.
Your credentials and experience include:
- Education: a science, math, or engineering degree in geophysics (P.Geo. is an asset)
- Fieldwork: At least 5 years of ground-based survey experience in the field, deploying instruments on land and downhole. Practical problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze data as it is generated. Physically able to work in remote locations and versed in safety protocols for same.
- Geophysics: experience developing geophysical surveys, gathering and analyzing field data. You should have a strong understanding of geophysical methods and at least a basic understanding of how inversions of multiple types of geophysical data work. You should also be comfortable working with common technical software in the geophysics domain.
- Coding: Python (intermediate, 2-3 years’ experience)
- Technically competent, with practical skills in equipment operation and repair.
- Personable style with strong communication and presentation skills.
- Proven people leadership skills.
- Certified for safety at mine sites and remote locations. In lieu of formal certification, demonstrated aptitude and training are acceptable.
The position is based in Richmond, BC (Greater Vancouver) and will require travel.
What we offer
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle accelerator laboratory) at one of the most exciting moments in its journey to commercialization. You will be working together with company founders and technical experts to advance a ground-breaking solution that will generate significant economic and environmental benefit. Our team is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We promise competitive compensation, work-life flexibility, and benefits including equity options.
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. We are committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, however they happen to be packaged.
Please send your résumé and cover letter via email to Kim Lawrence, including the job title ‘Project Geophysicist’ in the subject line.