Term: Permanent, full-time
Posted: September 2022
Ideon Technologies is transforming subsurface discovery, using the energy from supernova explosions in space to image density anomalies deep beneath the Earth’s surface. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km underground. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining. Watch this short video to learn a bit more about what we do.
The Research and Equipment Technician is responsible for the maintenance and repair of a variety of equipment in the Ideon lab, including manufacturing equipment, testing and calibration equipment, geophysics equipment. This is a role for someone with a breadth of hands-on experience and skills; a commitment to detail and safety protocols; an interest in learning about ground-breaking new technology; and a positive, helpful attitude
Specifically, the role will require you to:
- Inspect equipment before and after deployment to ensure it is operational (testing and data validation)
- Organize, clean, and calibrate lab, geophysics, and test equipment
- Troubleshoot problematic systems in consultation with R & D and engineering experts
- Implement test and calibration fixtures
- Perform research activities and experiments within the R & D team
- Validation of designs
- Conformance with simulations
- Electrical and mechanical system tests
- Understand and uphold standard operating procedures and safety protocols
This position requires a suitable combination of education and experience to yield the following skill set:
- Python (intermediate level) — we’ll ask to see some of your code samples
- Familiarity with Linux and Windows (intermediate)
- Familiarity with computer networks and system administration (basic)
- Comfort with electronics, including PCB troubleshooting, soldering and testing
- Experience with hand tools and basic power tools (drill press, band saw, etc.)
- Experience with 3D printing
- Some CAD capability is a bonus
- Good communicator, ambitious go-getter, results-oriented
The position is based in Richmond, BC (Greater Vancouver) and is not a work-from-home role.
What We Offer
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) as we scale up our business rapidly. You will be working to advance a ground-breaking solution that will generate significant economic and environmental benefit. Our team is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are also committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, wherever they come from and however they happen to be packaged.
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
Please send your résumé and cover letter via email to Kim Lawrence, including the job title in the subject line.