Term: Permanent, full-time
Ideon Technologies is transforming subsurface discovery. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km beneath the Earth’s surface. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining.
We are seeking a senior accountant to manage the finance function at our fast-moving tech start-up. You will be accountable for the accounting operations of the company, including the production of daily, weekly, and monthly financial reports; maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records; and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles or international financial reporting standards.
Specifically, your accountabilities will fall into the following categories of work:
Accounting & Administration
- Establish and manage daily accounting functions including maintaining financial records, accounts payable, receivables, and cash management.
- Prepared monthly GAAP financial statements.
- Manage payroll, timesheet and absence balances, and expense payments.
- Prepare claims for reimbursement from various funding agencies.
- Serve as primary contact and coordinator for external auditors.
- Prepare supporting materials for tax returns and prepare GST and PST returns.
- Develop and maintain effective work procedures to streamline activities.
Financial Planning and Analysis
- Prepare periodic financial reports and financial metrics.
- Lead the development of the annual budget as well as the quarterly financial forecasts.
- Prepare variance analysis reports comparing actuals to budgeted amounts.
- Safeguard company assets, including recommendations for the development and implementation of effective controls.
- Together with the CFO and CEO, manage the cash-flow position of the company.
- Establish and/or maintain credit, collections, and purchasing processes and policies, etc.
- Develop appropriate practices to manage foreign exchange exposure.
Your credentials, attributes, and qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- CPA Designation.
- At least five years’ experience as an accountant or finance professional.
- Excellence in accounting software and the Microsoft Office suite.
- Knowledge of accounting standards and industry regulations.
- Proven experience in optimizing accounting functions.
- Strong analytical, communication, and presentation skills.
- Strong organizational and time management abilities.
- Evidence of solid collaboration skills.
The position is based in Richmond, BC (Greater Vancouver). Applicants will be subject to a background check.
What We Offer
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) on its journey to commercialization. You will be working together with the leadership team and technical experts to advance a ground-breaking solution that will generate significant economic and environmental benefit. Our team is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are also committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, however they happen to be packaged.
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
Please send your résumé and cover letter via email to Kim Lawrence, including the job title ‘Senior Accountant’ in the subject line.