Term: Permanent, full-time
Posted: April 2022
Ideon Technologies (www.ideon.ai) is transforming subsurface discovery. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km beneath the Earth’s surface. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining.
We are seeking a senior geophysicist with project management, leadership, and mentoring skills – someone who can lead the development of innovative solutions to our clients’ specific needs while guiding the team that delivers on them. You will provide technical leadership informed by your broad background of technical geophysics skills, experience with various analysis and visualization technologies, and exposure to interpreting multiple geophysics datasets over your career to date.
Specifically, the role requires:
- Leading and coaching a growing team of talented geoscientists.
- Overseeing all project-based work involving geophysical survey design, simulation modeling, data processing, and outcomes analysis.
- Interpreting results and communicating outcomes effectively.
- Serving as client engagement lead on key accounts, offering authoritative advice and guidance where necessary.
- Undertaking specific assignments to analyze and resolve complex geophysical challenges, integrating various data sources.
- Developing processes, standards, and documentation to ensure the safety and optimize the effectiveness of the team.
- Educating new users about the Ideon Discovery Platform™.
- Conceptualizing new geophysics products and services that could add new value to customers and the business.
- Applying financial and resource management principles to project work to ensure the ongoing profitability of the business.
- Modeling and upholding the strictest standards of confidentiality around customer data.
Your knowledge of a broad range of geophysics techniques and mineral exploration challenges will be key to articulating the value advantage of muon tomography to clients and understanding how to deploy it most effectively. You are equally comfortable interacting with technical teams as you are with end users of the advanced subsurface intelligence Ideon provides.
Your credentials and experience include:
- Education: a science, math, or engineering degree in geophysics, P.Geo. designation
- Geophysics: experience developing geophysical surveys, processing, and analyzing field data. Strong understanding of geophysical methods and how inversions of multiple types of geophysical data work.
- Software: comfort working with common technical software for geophysics.
- Coding: Python – intermediate level required (2-3 years).
- Technically curious, dedicated contributor.
- Focused on quality output and efficient project and team management.
- Personable style with strong communication and presentation skills.
- Proven people leadership skills.
What We Offer
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) on its journey to commercialization. You will be working together with the leadership team and technical experts to advance a ground-breaking solution that will generate significant economic and environmental benefit. Our team is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are also committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, however they happen to be packaged.
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
Please send your résumé and cover letter via email to Kim Lawrence, including the job title ‘Senior Geophysicist’ in the subject line.