Senior Full Stack Software Engineer (open)
Term: Permanent, full-time
Posted: April 2023
Ideon Technologies uses the energy from supernova explosions in space to image density anomalies deep beneath the Earth’s surface. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km underground. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining. Watch this short video to learn a bit more about what we do.
We are seeking a Senior Full Stack Software Engineer who will play a critical role in the vision and development of our 3D subsurface intelligence interface. Joining a rapidly growing start-up means you will also have the opportunity to work on a variety of different projects and as a team lead, you will coach junior software engineers to set them up for success.
Working in an agile environment, you will use your technical expertise to shape the future of our software products. This is a hands-on-the-keyboard role, and you will spend at least half of your day developing and testing code.
As part of the role, you will:
- develop and evolve Ideon’s client and internal user interfaces and front-end systems
- create and contribute to the architecture for our full stack, design, and requirement principles; specifically, we’ll want your ideas and expertise on which 3D visualization tools will work best both short- and long-term
- identify and provide guidance on architecture changes to support a strong front-end solution
- adapt existing frameworks for 3D visualization
- be accountable for feature delivery and successful system integration, directly contributing to the development of new features and capabilities
- deploy, evaluate performance, optimize, test and debug UI software on a cloud-based platform
- participate in scheduling, design, performance, and code review process
- advise and assist junior team members
Priorities in the first few months will include:
- making recommendations for our UI full stack and 3D subsurface intelligence interface
- understanding our unique technology and getting familiar with our code base
- identifying additional resources required for the team
While you will be working with our particle physicists and geophysicists directly, you do not require experience in either domain. We’re more interested in your ability to develop a vision for our tech stack and break down requirements into actionable tasks for engineers – as well as your internal wiring as a good human. If you are someone who thrives in a dynamic environment, loves the intricacies of code, and lives and breathes cloud technologies, we’re probably a good match.
Must-haves: You’ll need the following to move forward in the hiring process and be successful in the role.
- A degree in computer science, engineering or related discipline, or equivalent combo of training and experience
- Minimum 5 years’ (8 years preferred) experience with software design, development, architecture, and user interface
- Experience leading software development, teams, and/or acting as a scrum master
- Senior level experience using and coding with a variety of 3D visualization tools (i.e. Unity, Unreal Engine, WebGL)
- Deep cloud technology experience (Azure preferred, open to candidates with strong experience in AWS, GCB)
- Experience in data-driven UI development
- Demonstrated ability to write efficient, clean, readable, portable, and reliable code
- Direct, hands-on experience working in Linux environments and developing for them
- Well-developed communication skills in English at a fluent or professional level; able to be assertive and respectful
- Legally able and currently documented to work full time hours in Canada
We are also looking for the following:
- A can-do attitude and creative solutioning mindset with great problem-solving skills
- Willingness to learn, be adaptable, and take initiative in an ever-evolving environment
- Able to work well under pressure and to meet scheduled deadlines
- Able to uncover and present options for improvement and streamlining
- Solid teamwork skills; you’ll jump in to help where you can
- Great interpersonal skills; able to build relationships with colleagues, customers, and external stakeholders
Nice-to-haves: We’re happy to train, coach and share our experience.
- Some experience in a tech start-up or the mining industry
- Able to add something “extra” to our team beyond the work that you do (maybe you like to wow people with your home-baked goods, organize and play in post-work sports games, or educate us on hydroponic gardening)
Our office is located at #150 – 4611 Viking Way, just off the No. 6 Road exit on the east-west connector in Richmond, BC, Canada. Lots of free parking is available and a bus stop is one block away.
Ideon is a hybrid workplace, with some roles needing to work fully in office for obvious reasons (it’s tricky to manufacture from home!). The Senior Full Stack Software Engineer is a hybrid role. We love seeing our employees in the office a few times a week (2-3 days depending on team needs); you’re welcome to work from home the remainder of the week or come into the office all 5 days if that’s your preference.
Hours of work: 8 hours/day, Monday to Friday. Our typical working hours are 9AM-5PM Pacific Standard Time; some employees shift slightly earlier or later based on business and personal needs. You may occasionally be asked to be flexible with your hours due to business requirements.
What We Offer
- An opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) as we scale up our business rapidly. You will be working to advance a ground-breaking solution that generates significant economic and environmental benefit.
- A team that is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, wherever they come from and however they happen to be packaged.
- Early equity option allocations upon hire plus the opportunity to earn performance-based option allocations annually.
- Accreditation and tuition support.
- Extended health and dental benefits, an employee assistance program, and a health/wellness spending account to cover things that may not fall into other categories (i.e. exercise classes, transit, daycare).
- An annual paid closure between the Christmas and New Year’s stat holidays, in addition to vacation time.
- While we work hard we also sprinkle social events and learning opportunities into our days.
- Parental leave top-up.
- Employee referral bonus.
- Casual dress – we like our jeans and hoodies.
- Free parking.
- Lots of free snacks!
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
- We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
- We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
- We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human
- We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
How to Apply and Accommodation Requests
To be considered for this role, please apply via Collage. The process is fairly quick; we won’t ask you to re-type everything already on your resumé – promise! While optional, cover letters help us learn more about you beyond what’s on your resumé (and help us understand what you’re looking for, role or industry shifts, employment gaps, etc.). Hot tip: PDF files display the best.
We aim to provide an approachable and accessible hiring process for every candidate. If there are accommodations our team can make so you can show up as your best self, please let us know via email.