Term: Permanent, full-time
Posted: September 2, 2021
Closing: September 17, 2021 or until suitable candidate found
Ideon Technologies is transforming subsurface discovery. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km beneath the Earth’s surface. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining.
We are seeking an intermediate to senior software developer to help to refine and strengthen our current code base, and develop a robust user interface for our advanced subsurface imaging discovery platform. Your work will directly impact the success of our company by making our research-intensive tools more reliable in function and more accessible to a non-technical user base.
Specifically, this role involves:
- code review and bug-checking
- handling requests for feature updates
- coordinating version control and associated processes
- continuously integrating new code from our research and development activity
- developing user interfaces that improve internal workflows and empower non-experts to engage with our tools
- managing and enhancing our cloud and on-prem infrastructure
- championing and implementing key cybersecurity measures
While you will be supporting our geophysicists directly, you do not require geophysics experience. We’re more interested in your numerical capabilities and commitment to best practices in coding – as well as your internal wiring as a good human. If you are someone who thrives in the dynamic environment of a technology start-up, loves the intricacies of code, and you’re not shy about asking questions or offering a valuable perspective, we’re probably a good match.
Your qualifications include:
- A degree in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years’ (5 years preferred) experience with software design, development, architecture, and user interface.
- Demonstrably strong programming skills in Python and C++. Additional languages are a bonus.
- Significant experience developing for Linux platforms.
- Experience implementing solid cybersecurity infrastructure and processes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- References who can speak to your personal style, attitude, and coding prowess.
- Experience with machine learning, numerical analysis, or Windows UI development will be great assets.
The position is based in Richmond, BC (Greater Vancouver).
What We Offer
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) on its journey to commercialization. You will be working together with the leadership team and technical experts to advance a ground-breaking solution that will generate significant economic and environmental benefit. Our team is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are also committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, however they happen to be packaged.
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human.
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
Please send your résumé and cover letter via email to Kim Lawrence, including the job title ‘Software Developer’ in the subject line.