System Administrator (open)
Term: Permanent, full-time
Ideon Technologies (www.ideon.ai) is transforming subsurface discovery, using the energy from supernova explosions in space to image density anomalies deep beneath the Earth’s surface. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detector hardware, imaging systems and software, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km underground. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining. Watch this short video to learn a bit more about what we do.
Ideon is growing quickly and we’re seeking to hire our first System Administrator. In this role, you’ll be involved in a range of mission-critical IT activities that contribute directly to the success of this BC-born start-up. We all recognize and appreciate how vital this role is to sustaining our desired velocity as we scale up.
As our sole in-house IT infrastructure person, you’ll report to the Director of Software and work closely with colleagues, suppliers, and partners to ensure our tech infrastructure and tools support user needs and perform consistently at optimal levels. You will be working in a mixed Linux and Windows environment amongst experts in applied physics, software, hardware, and manufacturing.
Specifically, this role involves:
- Managing Azure Active Directory
- Setting up and managing Linux servers and workstations
- Developing and documenting network architecture and helping to shape/manage our growing tech stack
- Implementing and managing VPN
- Managing software licensing and patches/updates
- Creating and managing accounts for enterprise tools
- Managing and ensuring the integrity of user and data backups
- Working on server virtualization and containerization projects
- Monitoring performance of our wireless AP ecosystem
- Proactively monitoring the health of our systems using appropriate tools to ensure optimal performance
- Stewarding cybersecurity practices, including penetration tests and review of recommended actions
- Refining MS SharePoint layout and normalizing permissions
- Assessing and recommending new tools prior to adoption; consolidating and standardizing tools where necessary
- Preparing and applying IT policies and documentation
- Developing a business continuity plan for IT systems, including back-up and recovery protocols
- Investigating, troubleshooting, and providing end-user support for office hardware and software issues
- Acquiring, configuring, deploying, and tracking digital devices and peripherals; onboarding and offboarding users
- Providing technical support to staff and answering inquiries as required; preparing and delivering user training
- Working with external vendors
We’re particularly interested in your ability to keep our fast-paced company humming, putting solid systems in place and maintaining them for optimal performance – as well as your internal wiring as a good human. If you bring some System Administrator experience, thrive in the dynamic environment of a technology start-up, love variety in your work, and put a great deal of care into everything you do, we’re probably a good match.
To be successful in this role, your qualifications will include:
- Diploma or degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent
- 4+ years progressive hands-on experience in Microsoft, Windows, and Linux environments; experience as a Linux sysadmin is ideal
- Proficient in problem determination and troubleshooting
- Expertise in Azure AD management and VPN management
- Experience setting up networks
- Experience with Tier 1 and 2 issues support
- Knowledge of web technologies and MS SharePoint administration
- Well developed communication skills in English at a fluent or professional level; able to be assertive and respectful
- Strong customer service skills to support new or less sophisticated users with desktop support (though our employees are quite tech-savvy)
- Great interpersonal skills; able to build relationships with colleagues and external stakeholders
- IT certifications are considered an asset
Location: Ideon is a hybrid workplace, with some roles needing to work fully in office for obvious reasons (it’s tricky to manufacture from home!). This is a hybrid role. We love seeing our employees in the office 2-4 times a week; you’re welcome to work from home the remainder of the time or come into the office all 5 days if that’s your preference.
Our office is located at #150 – 4611 Viking Way, just off the No. 6 Road exit on the east-west connector in Richmond, BC, Canada (Greater Vancouver). Lots of free parking is available and a bus stop is one block away.
Hours of work: 8 hours/day, Monday to Friday. Our typical working hours are 9AM-5PM Pacific Standard Time; some employees shift slightly earlier or later based on business and personal needs. You may occasionally be asked to be flexible with your hours due to business requirements.
What We Offer
- An opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) as we scale up our business rapidly. You will be working to advance a ground-breaking solution that generates significant economic and environmental benefit.
- A team that is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, wherever they come from and however they happen to be packaged.
- Early equity option allocations upon hire + the opportunity to earn performance-based option allocations annually.
- Accreditation and tuition support.
- Extended health and dental benefits, an employee assistance program, and a $500 health/wellness spending account to cover things that may not fall into other categories (i.e. exercise classes, transit, daycare).
- An annual paid closure between the Christmas and New Year’s stat holidays, in addition to vacation time.
- Parental leave top-up.
- Lots of free snacks.
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science
We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver
We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable
We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human
We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
Please send your résumé via email to [email protected], including the job title ‘System Administrator’ in the subject line.